FFXIV Shadowbringers Guide: Eden's Verse: Refulgence
Eden’s Verse: Refulgence is the fourth, and final, encounter of the second 8-man, normal raid content released with Patch 5.2 of Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers. It’s available at level 80 by finishing the Main Scenario Quest Shadowbringers and unlocked by the quest On Thin Ice. It can be completed via the duty finder with a minimum ilvl of 455 and rewards tokens of Golden Antiquity for each gear type, which can be turned in to Yahl Yal at (10.1-11.5) in The Canopy, Eulmore. Ghul Gul at (26.6-16.4) in Mord Souq, Ahm Araeng will also exchange tokens of Golden Antiquity for gear.
For the sake of your fellow players, please remember that this is new content (at the time of this publication). A little friendly explanation can go a long way. Similarly, don’t be afraid to take advice. You may learn something you didn’t know.
That sure does look like an arena with no walls, huh? And what do we know about Shiva? Everything is slippery ice. Be careful, my friends!
Phase 1 – Shiva
- Absolute Zero – An arena-wide, unavoidable AoE.
- Redress (1) – “Shiva” changes forms, in the process using a gaze mechanic. You must look away from her changing to avoid being stunned. Yep.
- Axekick/Scythekick – Getting hit by either of these applies a vulnerability stack.
- Axekick – A huge, circular AoE that covers the floor out to the ring near the edge of the floor. If you wait to move until you see the AoE indicator show up, you likely won’t make it out in time.
- Scythekick – A donut AoE centered on Shiva that covers the whole arena except the circle under her.
- Redress (2) – When she changes back into her Shiva form, the floor is covered in ice. Try not to move, except to get out of the upcoming AoEs.
- Driving Frost/Biting Frost – These 2 happen while the ice is still covering the floor.
- Driving Frost – A conal AoE projected behind behind Shiva.
- Biting Frost – An AoE that covers the whole arena except the quarter directly behind her.
- Double Slap – A tank buster.
- Diamond Frost – An AoE in the form of a large ice crystal centered on Shiva.
- Immediately after, 4 circular ice AoEs will be spaced around the edge of the area. These ought to be familiar, as they’re the type in the original Shiva fight that dropped ice to damage players.
- At the same time, 4 players will be markers with red, circular, traveling AoEs, and 4 players will be marked with flare style AoEs that need to be separated to cut down on damage. The players with the red AoEs should spread out nearer to the center, while the 4 flared players should head out to separate safe channels between Shiva’s ice AoEs.
- After these, 4 players will be marked with pulsing circle AoEs with a trailing arrow. Three, circular AoEs will land under the feet of the marked players in sequence, so keep moving and space yourself away from your fellow players in one of the 4 safe channels if you can.
- Heavenly Strike – A knock-back. Make sure to be close to the center or use a knock-back nullifier.
- Mirror, Mirror (1) – Two mirrors will appear on the edge of the arena in the northeast and northwest. They will copy whichever AoE move Shiva does next, but centered on their positions.
- Driving Frost/Biting Frost
- If Driving Frost – Run north, between the 2 Frost Mirrors to avoid the large conals projected outward from both mirrors.
- If Biting Frost – Run to the south side, farthest away from the mirrors to avoid the circular AoEs.
- Redress (1) – Gaze mechanic.
- Shattered World – After a charge, this other form of Shiva will jump to the center of the arena and incapacitate everyone with a Down for the Count debuff. This attack does no damage, but transitions you into the next phase
Phase 2 – Shards & Elemental Aethers
- Half of your party, a tank, healer and 2 DPS, will be teleported to a small platform. Avoid touching the outer ring and the circle directly under the center Shard.
- The Shard at the center of the platform will pulse, applying a vuln’ stack to all present and spawning in an Earthern Aether mob and an Aqueous Aether mob. Take them out.
- After another pulse, an Aqueous Aether and 2 Electric Aethers will spawn, as well as an unattackable Light Aether, which will tether to the shard. Dispatch the Aethers, while one player, likely the tank, stands in the path of the Light tether, interrupting it. You cannot move from the space between the Light Aether and the Shard, or the tether will snap back in place, feeding the Flood of Light meter for 20% per missed Light Aether. Keeping the Light meter at 0% will grant a Damage Dealt Increased buff.
- Another pulse and 2 more Aqueous Aethers will spawn.
- Another, spawning in 2 Electric Aethers and an Earthern Aether, as well as 2 Light Aethers. Two players must block the flow.
- Once you pass this simple gauntlet, you’re once again rendered Down for the Count and transferred back to the main arena.
Phase 3 – Shiva
“Shiva” will start in her alternate, light form.
- Holy – A proximity AoE originating at the center of the arena. Move out to the edges to cut down on damage.
- Light Rampant – Four puddles will spawn that require one player each to stand in them. Failing to fill a puddle will apply a vuln’ stack.
- The Path of Light – Meanwhile, 2 players will be marked with red symbols that will fire thin, conal AoEs at them. If you have them, thread these between the puddles. If you don’t, give your fellow players space!
- Light Rampant (continued) – There is no new cast, but it happens after The Path of Light resolves. Two puddles requiring 2 players will spawn.
- The Path of Light
- Light Rampant (continued) – One puddle requiring 4 players to stand in it.
- The Path of Light
- Mirror, Mirror (2) – Four mirrors will appear on the edge of the arena at cardinal directions. Just like the first version, they will copy whichever AoE move Shiva does next.
- If Axekick – Run out of the middle to avoid the initial large circle, then immediately back in to avoid the 4 circles spaced around the edge.
- If Scythekick – Run to the center to dodge the donut, then run out to any convenient Frozen Mirror.
- Redress (2) – Ice floor.
- Twin Stillness– While the floor is still covered in ice, Shiva will either project a conal AoE in the quarter of arena directly behind her or the three-fourths of the arena in front of and beside her. Slide as needed to get out of the initial AoE. She’ll then project the opposite shaped AoE from the first one, so slide back if necessary. Getting hit by either of these will apply vuln’ stacks.
- Redress (1) – Gaze mechanic.
- It seems like once Shiva hits 10%, she abandons her pattern to spam Absolute Zero. Anything after this last listed Redress is very likely to be a mecahnic you’ve already seen.
- Once Shiva hits .1%, you’ll get a cutscene transition that puts you in another Down for the Count state.
Phase 4 – Ice Veil
- Once you’re free, you’re given a short amount of time to take down a static enemy as it fills up a Flood of Light Meter and ticks down to an Endless Ice Age. Notice that they’ve refilled your limit break gauge to help you out.
Congratulations, you’ve completed Eden’s Verse: Refulgence! For more information on what drops from this encounter, you can go to our wiki page.