A lot of facts have been released about the land of Eorzea that we will all occupy in the near future, and while eventually we will almost certainly see some official images from Square Enix, right now the best we can do is piece together what we do know and engage in some Cartography 101. Let’s go over what we know:
- In the world of Hydaelyn, the region of Eorzea (エオルゼア) denotes the geographical region comprised of the continent of Aldenard and its surrounding islands.
- Aldenard is the smallest continent in Hydaelyn and is surrounded by several islands.
- Within Eorzea are are several independent city-states
- The Garlean Empire is located somewhere to the east of Eorzea and destroyed the city of Ala Mhigo and razed Eorzea’s northern region, but never invaded southern Eorzea.
- Limsa Lominsa is located on the southern coast of the island of Vylbrand, is spread out over countless tiny islands and is located on the Rhotano Sea – which itself is an inlet.
- There are five Eorzean seas
- The Ul’dah territory contains mountains occupied by the reclusive clans of Roegadyn known as the Hellsguard.
- Climate in Eorzea is “both harsh and mild, as diverse as the skies are vast”
- The Hyur came from neighboring continents and islands
- The Lalafell were originally a group of agriculturalists inhabiting the fertile islands of the south seas and are averse to cold climates.
- During the Age of Endless Frost, seas turned to ice, allowing an influx of foreign fauna and the hunting tribes which subsisted upon them – the Miqo’te.
- The Roegadyn are a maritime people whose largest concentrations are found in the northern seas, by way of which they came to Eorzea.
So when you put all this together what do you get? Good question – and while impossible to know for sure, some of our community members have made some great attempts.
|Map by Thegide||Map by Zaccarias|
|Map by Avuna||Map by Jugil||Map by Eorzea Playa|
See any mistakes? Want to show off your cartography skills? Either way – join the discussion on the forums!