Quantcast

Gamer Escape

http://discord.gg/gamerescape

Userpage Help!

Moderator: Staff

Userpage Help!

Postby Gorinx » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:05 pm

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum, lol. So I'm trying to create a userpage for my character (http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/User:Gorinx), but I'm having some trouble. The templates that have been made don't seem to be for what I'm trying to do. I just want to keep track of stuff like job levels, quests, mounts, retainers, beastmen reputation, etc. As an example, I had something like that on FFXIclopedia (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/User:Gorinx), where there were already existing templates for all that stuff. Any help / advice? :D
Gorinx

gamertag: Gorinx2
Nintendo Network ID: xgorinx
PlayStation Network ID: xgorinx
Twitter Username: xgorinx

Re: Userpage Help!

Postby Urthdigger » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:59 pm

Apologies for the late reply, low traffic for the forums means I don't tend to check it very often... at all >.<

So, despite this thread being in the FFXI wiki section, I'm guessing you mean templates for FFXIV as you linked to the FFXIV version of your userpage (your page at http://ffxi.gamerescape.com/wiki/User:Gorinx is using templates, and probably inherited your old data from FFXIclopedia).

So, basically the issue is that the number of people participating in community sites is DRASTICALLY lower than it was during FFXIclopedia's heyday. This means less people posting on community forums, and also means less people making wiki edits... ESPECIALLY for "less important" things such as fun things for user templates.

Someone could likely take the FFXI ones and edit them accordingly to match FFXIV info for things like quests and jobs... but I personally have a busy life that makes it difficult just to make normal edits for new patches. If you'd like, I could certainly teach you about how to edit the wiki and make the necessary checklist templates yourself?
GamerEscape's fast-talking, moogle-obsessed, perverted, slam-DANCING moderator
<peer> It's Urthdigger, the lovable forum mod
Staff
Urthdigger

gamertag:
Nintendo Network ID:
PlayStation Network ID:
Twitter Username: Urthdigger

Postby Gorinx » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Thanks for the reply! I'm up for learning how to do it, if necessary. And yes, I did accidentally post this on FFXI by mistake....so I made a duplicate and posted it in FFXIV forums as well, and "Anwyll" responded once but I haven't heard back. But yeah, I'm down for learning it if you are willing to teach :)
Gorinx

gamertag: Gorinx2
Nintendo Network ID: xgorinx
PlayStation Network ID: xgorinx
Twitter Username: xgorinx

Postby Urthdigger » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:49 pm

Ok, well first off it's important to know how much wiki editing experience you've had in the past. Making a new template isn't easy... there's a LOT of coding that goes into it, but since you want something like an existing template that makes it relatively easy. Just grab the code for a template that has the format you want (Say, any of the FFXI checklists) and change the necessary variables around. Let's look at the Bard AF checklist for an example.

<noinclude>'''USAGE:''' Copy the below code onto your userpage, then define Complete-Color (the color for obtained equipment) and Default-Color (for equipment that have not yet been obtained). Each piece obtained should be notated with "Done" (Case sensitive, and without the quotes). Writing anything other than "Done", will result in the equipment being marked as default/unobtained.

<pre>==Bard AF Checklist==
{{Bard AF Checklist
|Complete-Color = green
|Default-Color = orange
| Paper Knife =
| Choral Roundlet =
| Choral Justaucorps =
| Choral Cuffs =
| Choral Cannions =
| Choral Slippers =
| Choral Roundlet +1 =
| Choral Justaucorps +1 =
| Choral Cuffs +1 =
| Choral Cannions +1 =
| Choral Slippers +1 =
}}</pre></noinclude>

First things first, all templates have a page name that is "Template: Name_of_Template". Underscores work as spaces. This first chunk of code has the noinclude tag. That means that this doesn't get inserted into the page, and is useful for documentation on the template page such as how to use it. The "pre" tags format it nicely and also keep the template from firing inside.

Now, next we get into the meat and potatoes of the template. A template is basically like a function or subroutine in computer code, when it's called it basically inserts the template's code into your page. So, what follows is essentially what gets output to your page's formatting, the template is just a shorthand. Anyhow, we'll notice the template has several bits repeating for each piece of AF. Let's take a look at one.

{{#switch: {{{Paper Knife}}}
| Done = *<nowiki>[</nowiki>[[File:check.gif]]<nowiki>]</nowiki> [[Paper Knife|<font color={{{Complete-Color}}}>Paper Knife</font>]]
| #default = *<nowiki>[</nowiki>[[File:eks.gif]]<nowiki>]</nowiki> [[Paper Knife|<font color={{{Default-Color}}}>Paper Knife</font>]]
}}

So, it appears that #switch is a template being called within the template (I'm going to come right out and say I don't know completely how these work, just how to use them, and having explanations makes it easier on me). The item being checked is held within 3 curly braces right after. This corresponds to a field in your template, so make sure they match!

After a seperator, we have the whole section with Done = blah blah. "Done" here will be the text that you put in the field to mark it as complete. You can make this any word you like, I personally prefer "done" as it's shorter to type when you've done a lot in-game and want to update your checklist. The "nowiki" parts are so the brackets between them actually show up as bracketing, instead of acting as wiki formatting. Between those is a call for a check image. After that, is a link to the item in question, using the [[Item|Item as written on page]] format to alter formatting. It changes the font color, calling a variable for "Complete-Color" as a shorthand for the green used.

Another seperator, and we have a section with #default. This is what it'll show if you have anything OTHER than "done" there. The differences here is it calls an "ecks" image of a red X, and the color variable is "Default-Color" instead."

Ok, so one final thing before we're done here. You'll notice the template starts with this:

{| border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" align="center" width="100%"
| valign="top" width="33%" align="left" |

This starts a table and defines the formatting. Those are nice defaults, though you may fiddle with them as it suits you. Then in the middle we have this:

| valign="bottom" width="33%" align="left" |

This starts a new column. The "bottom" bit is why it's lined up with the bottom instead of the top (You'll notice Paper Knife has nothing to the right but everything below does). Finally we have this.

|}

This marks the end of a table. Don't forget this. Oh, and then there's this:

<noinclude>{{Checklist Notes}}[[Category:Userpage Templates|{{PAGENAME}}]]</noinclude>

Again, noinclude stops it from being part of the template. This places it in the proper category so folks can find it.
GamerEscape's fast-talking, moogle-obsessed, perverted, slam-DANCING moderator
<peer> It's Urthdigger, the lovable forum mod
Staff
Urthdigger

gamertag:
Nintendo Network ID:
PlayStation Network ID:
Twitter Username: Urthdigger

Return to FFXI Wiki Discussion